Out Print Shop

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Five classic landscapes

Hello again and welcome.

With the british weather finally starting to improve, I personally have been enjoying a spot of "plein air" painting.

Fully equipped with my portable easel and brushes, I have been down on the river thames and started a series of landscape paintings.  And I must say, I have been thoroughly enjoying myself!

Painting outdoors is a totally different experience than being inside the studio during the winter months, and I am going to make the very most of this summer, and paint "plein air" as much as I possibly can.

But, all this landscape painting has got me thinking just lately....

What are my all time favourite landscape paintings?

Well, let me clear this one up straight away.  The task of sorting out my favourite all time paintings is an impossible task!  I have seen simply too many great paintings to choose, and if I did choose, they would probably change over time.

But, do not fear, I have gathered five classic landscape paintings here which undoubtably rank very high in my all time favourites.

So, without rambling on anymore, here are five landscape paintings gauranteed to take your breath away!........

                                                                       Turner
                                                           The fighting temeraire



This painting captures an atmosphere like no other, and is arguably the best piece from this legendary artist.  Also, possibly adding to the appeal of this painting, there is some speculation as to whether it is a sunset, or sunrise.....what do you think?

Constable
Salisbury cathedral


They do not get much more legendary than John Constable, and what a beauty this is.  This landscape has it all really doesn't it?  A lake, building, animals, and a rainbow!  It is just a picture of perfection if you ask me.

Turner
Composition of Tivoli


Here is another from Turner, another which has an amazing "atmosphere" which he creates so well.  Truly a classic.

Claude Lorraine
Seaport at sunset


They don't get much better than this.  Again, it's the atmosphere that does it for me.  Not to mention the great sense of "distance" achieved here.  Truly amazing!

Albert Bierstadt
In the mountains


Now this painting dates back to 1897, and is from an artist called Albert Bierstadt.  I stumbled upon this gem accidentally one day, and just could not believe what I was seeing.  Pure perfection!
An amazing painting, and surely one to remember.....

So there it is folks, five truly amazing works of art.  Landscape painting genius to get you in the mood for some summer landscape painting.  They definately inspire me!
Keep painting, keep creating.

James Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

FIND ME ON SKILL PAGES!

Find Roberto Edmanson-Harrison on SkillPages

LONDON ART

LondonArt, Be inspired

JACKSON'S ART SUPPLIES

Jackson's Art Supplies - Square Button

SUU ART DIRECTORY